Author: BS’ in the Kitchen (adapted from Bon Appetit)
Recipe type: Pasta Cuisine: Italian
Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 40 mins Total time: 45 mins
- ½ onion (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp oregano
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley
- 14 oz. canned pureed tomatoes
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- ½ pound (230g) mild Italian sausage
- ½ pound (230g) ground turkey (or pork)
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3-4 servings rigatoni pasta
- Parmesan cheese
- Begin by combining onion, celery, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and parsley in food processor, until evenly chopped.
- In a pan on medium heat, add your olive oil.
- While pan is heating, remove casing from sausage.
- Once pan has heated, add sausage, cooking 4-5 minutes until browned.
- Add ground turkey, frying until nearly cooked, add salt & pepper.
- Transfer sausage, and turkey to a bowl.
- In the same pan, turn it up to medium-high heat, adding vegetable mixture once heated, cooking 8-10 minutes, until vegetables begin to turn a golden colour.
- In a bowl, stir 1 tablespoon tomato paste, with 1 cup of water, adding to vegetables (after they have cooked for 8-10 minutes).
- Simmering until nearly all liquid has evaporated.
- Add sausage, and turkey to pan, along with pureed tomato, and one cup of water.
- Simmer until sauce is no longer runny, about 10-15 minutes.
- Once sauce is done reducing, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Boil pasta for about 12 minutes until desired tenderness.
- Place pasta in serving dishes, top with ragu, and sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese to top it off.